College of Engineering, Division of Mathematical and Systems Engineering, Academic Institute (Mathematical and Systems Engineering Course, Department of Engineering, Graduate School of Integrated Science and Technology, and Department of Mathematical and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering) is inviting applications for five year tenure track assistant professor position with financial support for research. Aimed at development of innovative mathematical and systems engineering, the Division of Mathematical and Systems Engineering , College of Engineering is seeking a tenure track assistant professor for researching in the area of statistical sciences or statistical engineering, especially, including the area of data science in engineering, machine learning and discrete optimization.
Tenure track system at Shizuoka University aims to provide promising young researchers with opportunities to promote their scientific carriers, and to nurture their talents and skills in research, leadership, management, and education. Holders of tenure track positions are expected to primarily undertake scientific research in their respective fields. However, since eventually they will also undertake teaching responsibilities, tenure track program includes duties to guide thesis projects of students. Holders of tenure track positions are promoted to tenured positions upon successful completion of tenure track program. Extremely competent individuals may be promoted to tenured positions even earlier.
Shizuoka University is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of nationality, race, gender, or religion.
||Mathematical sciences *
|No. of Positions
||Assistant Professor(1 position)
||Professor Rinko MIYAZAKI|
|* See 4.Qualifications for further detail|
The successful candidate is expected to start on March 1, 2018, or on the earliest possible date after this day.
Five years from the start of employment.
- Assessment of Tenure track Positions
Performance of the tenure track position holder will be evaluated on a regular basis. The assessment will be aimed at evaluating his/her capabilities in scientific research, leadership and management, acquisition of competitive research funding, and providing teaching and tutorship for Bachelor/Master course students. The assessment will take into account the original research plan, mid-term and final research goals submitted at the start of employment, and results of interviews. The assessment will be scheduled as follows:
*Successful assistant professor will be promoted to lecturer or associate professor and acquire tenure until the retirement age (currently 65 years old).
- Yearly evaluation will take place at the end of first, second, and fourth years.
- Interim assessment will be conducted within the month following expiry of two and a half years since the start of employment.
- Final assessment will be conducted within the month following expiry of four and a half years since the start of employment.
- Remuneration: Annual salary system.
- Allowances, including those for dependents, executive, housing, commutation, extra work, overtime and late-night work will be provided in accordance with the Shizuoka University guidelines.
- Relocation expenses will be covered in accordance with the Shizuoka University guidelines.
- Research Support
- During the first year, a start-up fund of 3 million 5 hundred thousand yen and an independent research space will be provided. During the second year, research fund of 1 million 4 hundred thousand yen will be provided. During the third, fourth and fifth years, research fund of 7 hundred thousand yen per annum will be provided.
- The successful candidate shall conduct his/her research under the guidance of mentor/research advisor.
- It is possible that the research fund may be changed by the situation of a future budget.
- Primary Responsibility
In addition to research on a special field, supports for the subjects on seminars, experimental works and lectures, for instance, on Fundamentals of Computer Programming, Fundamental of Computers, Multivariate Data Analysis, Graph Theory and Applied Practice for Systems Engineering, to the students are obligated.
- Applicants must have enthusiasm for research and education in the emerging field of Mathematical and Systems Engineering. Approximately 70% of efforts during the period of the employment will be focused on research and 30% on education.
- Place of work
The successful candidate shall be assigned to work at Hamamatsu Campus of Shizuoka University (Hamamatsu City, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan).
A young researcher who can promote innovative research on statistical sciences or statistical engineering, is expected. Especially, applicants are expected to have a strong background, motivation and skill in data science, machine learning and discrete optimization in the area of manufacturing.
- Applicants must have been conducting outstanding research in the relevant fields.
- Applicants must possess a doctoral degree obtained within ten years as of March 1, 2018, or have promise to obtain it by March 31, 2018.
- Applicants whose native language is not Japanese must demonstrate their plan to reach a level of proficiency in Japanese language sufficient for teaching, within the period of employment.
|Documents for Submission
- Application form (curriculum vitae, photograph, past achievements and research funds. The 5-year impact factor of 2016 should be quoted from "Journal Citation Reports" published by Thomson Reuters.)・・・FORM1(Word,PDF)
- Summary of previous research (two A4 size pages) ・・・・・・FORM2(Word,PDF)
- Copies of up to five most important scientific publications (journal articles, books).
- Plan of proposed research for five years period (two A4 size pages)・・・・・・FORM3(Word,PDF)
- Ambition for teaching in Shizuoka University (one A4 size page)・・・・・・FORM4(Word,PDF)
- One letter of recommendation or names and contact information of two persons who can be contacted in reference to your work.
- Forms 1-4 must be filled in English or in Japanese and printed one-side on A4 size paper.
- The above documents must be sent by registered mail to the mail address shown below.
- Please mark the envelope “Application forms for tenure track assistant professor” using red pen. Submissions by e-mail are not acceptable. The submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants.
||Applications must reach the office by 5 p.m. November 13, 2017, Japan time.
- Document Review – November 2017
- Interviews – from middle of November to December 2017. Only those who have passed the document review will be notified for an interview. Travel expenses will not be disbursed.
- Selection is done by considering achievements, future prospects, and enthusiasm for research and education. If several applicants have similar abilities, then female or foreign applicants, or applicants with disability will get an advantage.
|Mail address for the application and General queries
||Tenure Track Support Team, Shizuoka University
3-5-1 Johoku, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu 432-8561, Japan